Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Autumn/winte year one, recap and a re-start

It has been a while since I updated here, but I am still working on my wardrobe project and I have no plans on giving it up. 2013 has been a year of finishing off as many old projects as possible on my huge unfinished pile and I have been doing very well. However, even if some of those things were for the 40's wardrobe, I did focus on my 18th century clothes, but I will change that next year. One thing I have learned this year is to plan my sewing and it has worked really well, so here is what I have planned for my 40's clothes.

I am behind, there is no sense in denying that. Year one was to be 2011/2012, so if I had been a good girl I would start sewing the spring/summer clothes of year three now. But I want to finish the previous years, not just push them back, so I have decided to work on the autumn/winter clothes until the end of February as it is winter now, starting with year one's autumn/winter items, progressing to the autumn/winter clothes in year two and three, as many I have the time for until March. Then I will go back and start on spring/summer year one, as spring will be approaching then and I will need appropiate clothes.

So, let's see what I have left of year one's autumn and winter clothes:

Grey wool shirtwaist dress I have had the fabric for this one for a long time, a lightweight grey wool with very narrow red stripes, but I just haven't wanted to start. The truth is that I feel that a shirtwaist dress isn't the best cut for my figure, I prefer a more tailored look. Then I found this pattern from 1938 at New Vintage Lady. As you can see it looks like a shirtwaist, but it is in fact not. I think it would be easy enough to make it into one, but I am thinking more in the line of adding buttons in front for a fake shirtwaist look. I plan to start this dress right after Christmas.

As it is for winter wear, I will make the long sleeved version.
 
Coat in grey lamb fur This mean fake fur as I'm sewing it myself, but I couldn't find any grey lamb fur that I liked, indeed no grey fur at all. I did find, however, a really lovely Russian wolf fur from The Throw Company which is grey/brown. As there are a lot of brown in the wardrobe I felt that it would work well colourwise and wolf fur were used in the 1940's. I am currently working on this one and it will be in a swagger model. I hope to finish it soon.

A brown sport jacket. I am making this one in brown wool and I have come as far as the first toile, I need to do a second fitting now.

Raincoat in a "natural" colour. I am making this in waterproofed grey cotton, reversible with pink/rust tartan wool. It is actually quite close to being finished, it just needs pockets, hemming and buttons.

Four Projects left for autumn/winter year one and three of those are already started. It is nice to know that I have finished, or bought,  most of it. To cheer me some more, let's see what that was:

Simple, long evening gown in black heavy canton crepe. Well, obviously I haven't made a black one, but as there was a blue one in year three I just swapped them.


Housecoat with a belt in thin cotton Not made by me but a vintage housecoat in mint condition.


Black wool dress It is finished, but I have yet to take pictures of it.

Brown sport suit in three pieces should have been made in water-proofed gabardine, but I have made this one into three separatees instead. The jacket is unfinished and the trousers were bought at Heyday. Here is the skirt, which is in gabardine, but not water proofed. 

Red Sweater

White sweater, adapted to be a stone-coloured one. Both sweaters were bought at Rocket Originals.


There were also accessoires. I have yet to find heavy boots and brown sport shoes that I like. I do have a pair of black walking shoes, though, as well as evening shoes. And, of course; rubber boots . I also bought a grey beret and made a rown one out of fake Suede. It ought to have been a sports model in brown felt and if I find one I will definitly buy it!


I also have a brown bag in reptile skin and a black bag in suede.


Brown knitted gloves and homemade knitted mittens are the last items and I do have them as well, but no photos. I have taken a few liberties with my directives, but I feel that this is a working wardrobe that I use, I need to adapt it to fit my needs and taste. So, back to the sewing rooms and also to see if I can find enough saylight to take photos of the black wool dress!


7 comments:

Vivian de Violet said...

Nice to see you again :)

pimpinett said...

That grey wool fabric looks gorgeous. I love shirtwaists, but they are not the easiest kind of dress to get to flatter a large bust, perhaps. Will be exciting to see the fur coat!

Isis said...

Vivian de Violet: Thank you!

pimpinett: An Etsy find. :) I like them too, but more in theory than in practice.

Siobhán said...

I look forward to updates! I follow all your blogs now, but it was this one that got me started and I don't want it to die. My grandmother in Ireland had a book called The Book of Hints and Wrinkles which contained lots of similar stuff - how to furnish your house, what sort of wardrobe you need, hygienic advice and so on. (It is advisable to always keep you underarms free from hair, so sleeveless dresses can be worn at any time.)I therefore feel a kinship to your project!

SJ Kurtz said...

Another fan of the grey wool. New Vintage Lady has done a lot of shirtwaist work; her Catalog Sunday posts have been showing a lot of Lane Bryant (read: full figured) items, with some promising shirtwaists. I love the blue frock! Glad to see a post, good to know it's just a busy year not a bad one.

Isis said...

Siobhán said: What a wonderful title! :D And I'm glad you enjoy all my blogs- thank you!

Isis said...

SJ Kurtz: I think it is a matter of how tyou feel in the model as well. If one feels a milion bucks, then one looks it, but I feel a bit self-concious in that model. :) Thank you! The blue fabric was inherited from my grandmotehr and is propbably from the 60's, but it works for the 40's as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...