Thursday, 6 June 2013

A white summer dress

I started this dress two years ago, for the better part of that time, the only thing left have been the buttons, buttonholes and the hemming. As predicted it didn't take me long to actually finish it, when I sat down to it and now I can cross off another item on my wardrobe list. Namely the white, washable shirt dress for spring/summer year 1. The pattern is an original 1940's pattern from Simplicity. For once I didn't need to make any adjustements to it, probably because the bodice is meant to fit loosely. It fits well around the waist, but it do need a belt to give it a better fit and a more finished look. It is the first time I make a collar like this and I must confess that it shouldn't be looked at too closely... The fabric is a very sheer cotton with a woven checkered pattern, completely interlined with plain white cotton to make it opaque. It made the whole cutting process a bit of a bore as I first basted the two layers together and then handled them as one fabric. The buttons are white glass buttons that once sat on one of my grandmother Greta's dresses. Back then they all had  blue flower painted on them, but wear and tear had reduced them to blue irregular flecks, so I scraped that off. I try to incororate something from my grandmother's huge stash of sewing supplies whenever I make something, even if it is just basting thread, so I', very pleased that I was able to use something more visible this time.
Today was the first time I wore it and it is a very comfortable dress. It was quite hot, but the dress was quite cool. As we were going to drin Afternoon tea with some friends that had stipulated hats as a must I also got the opportunity to wear the green Vintage Vogue hat I made some time ago, but never really had chance to wear. The dotted stockings are from What Katie Did and the black suede shoes are from the late 80's. They do look quite a lot like shoes from the 40's, though the toe should be a little more rounded.
 
 
I'm not sure if this is really the best cut for my ample bosom, it kind of look like my front are all breasts until my waist start. I usually prefer a more fitted look to avoid that trick of the eye. However, the blousy fit is probably part of why this is such a comfortable and cool summer dress. I predict I will use it a lot!
 

On our way home. The angle of the hat got more and more absurd as the day progressed. The sun glasses are from my grandmother as well and are original ones from the 1940's.

 

8 comments:

Emma said...

Verkligen jättefin! Jag förstår vad du menar med den lite lösare modellen och bysten, men jag tycker inte att det gör något alls. Det syns ju på klänningen (ärmarna bland annat) att den är just en lösare modell som ska vara luftigare ovantill.

Nu blir jag själv lite motiverad att sätta igång med min egen ljusa sommarklänning (40tals-skjortklänning i off-white linne/siden) som aldrig blev sydd i fjol för att vi köpte hus. Men nu får vi hem en valp i morgon så, det blir nog något lättare först. :)

Eva said...

Jag tycker också att det blev väldigt fin.

/Eva

Isis said...

Emma: Jag kände mig fin och det är väl huvudsaken. :)Ja, husköp tar ju lite tid.... Linne/siden låter som en skön blandning en varm dag. Vilken sorts hund blir det?

Eva: Tack så mycket! :)

Anushka said...

A lovely dress which looks very practical for the summer. I really enjoyed reading about how you are working with your grandmother's stash as well! So lovely.

Isis said...

Anushka: Thank you! It makes me happy to be able to use her things and it makes feel close to her. :)

Scene in the Past said...

That looks really good! I'm planning to make a basic white dress as well (cotton/linen in my case) and yours has re-inspired me to get to work on it.

superheidi said...

wow that looks good. I have such a fright for white clothing (except blouses). Like the tights with it!

Isis said...

Scene in the Past: Thank you! I'm sure youre will be fab!

superheidi: Thanks you! I haven't had any white clothes apart from blouses, since I was 18... Well, at least I can throw itinto the washing machine... I like the tights too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...